Greetings Rolfe Family,
This is Mrs. George, proud principal of John Rolfe Middle School, with a few reminders and important notices for the week! Happy New Year to those with which I haven’t already had the opportunity to chat.
Parents and guardians:
The “JRMS Parent Dashboard” is a one-stop-shop for many parent resources. Please save/bookmark and click on the necessary links for your reference. As email communication continues to increase, many notices can also be found here or on our website just in case you miss an email.
Click on this link: JRMS Parent Dashboard
- Jan. 11th – Is a Day 2
- Jan. 13th – HCPS Life Ready Expo continues. This week’s Expo’s focus Expo: Human Services. Please see the detail below and the attached flyer. Life Ready Expo
- Jan. 15th – Specialty Center Applications are due.
- Immunizations and Health History Forms: – Parents we need your help! There are several forms that are required prior to returning to school. Also, as a reminder “Immunizations” are also required for school whether the student is participating in virtual or in-person learning. Please remember to fill out your child’s Health History Form and other HCPS Health Forms.
Use this link to access all Health Forms
- Please email or call Nurse Rosenbaum email@example.com as she is happy to assist.
Nurse Contact info:
804-226-8730 *press 2 for clinic
Fax number 804-236-5764 attn school nurse
- HCPS Life Ready Expo continues. This week’s Expo’s focus is Human Services. This is a great way for students to join us and meet with business and community partners in areas of student interests including:
- Education & Training
- Government, & Public Administration
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
Area Students, grades 7 -12, and their caregivers will have the opportunity to virtually talk with employers to learn about lucrative career opportunities for students, the corresponding educational requirements, compensation, as well as answer questions about their business. careers pathways.
Student registration is not required. The virtual event will be conducted using Microsoft Teams. Attendees can take part using a browser without creating a Teams account. To attend on Wednesday, Jan. 13th, join from the following link:
- Specialty Center Announcement
- Eighth graders: Specialty Center: Interested students will be able to begin the online application process Monday. The window to submit applications is open through Jan. 15, 2021. To apply, go to https://henricoschools.us/specialty-centers/ click on “Application process for HCPS eighth-grade students.”
- Sixth and Seventh graders: It is never too early to begin planning. Reach out to your school counselor and Advisory Teacher about your next steps in planning for your High School Pathway! Ask questions and then ask more questions about how to prepare!
- Variance Request
- The deadline for middle school students is April 15, 2021. The high school (grades 8-11) deadline for submitting a variance request is February 15th and the elementary and middle (K – 7th) school deadline is April 15th. The 8th-grade deadline is aligned with high school since those students will be moving to high school for the 2021-2022 school year.
- The deadline to request a variance for high schools is February 15, 2021. Variances may be considered only under circumstances as outlined in R6-03-001 School Assignments/Variance Procedures.
- As a team and family, our focus is to develop life-ready thinkers. We believe honoring our legacy provides a future of success. We will continue to celebrate students for positive behaviors as we continue our campus-wide expectations. Our JRMS Team will…*be Respectful *be Responsible *Ready and *be Safe. We are excited to recognize our students for exhibiting the positives!
- Student Accountability and owning their work. Students must collaborate and respond to the teacher to ensure they are being successful and getting everything, they need.
- Parents/guardians/families, you can help by checking in with students every day.
- Actively engaged in the learning experience- Attendance is not the same as participation in learning. We encourage our student scholars to think through content and participate in the active learning process.
- We miss your face! Students are more engaged and responsive in learning when their cameras are on and they are able to interact with the teacher. Encourage your child to turn on his/her camera for each class. This is one of the first steps to help a struggling student and enhance the learning experience of an engaged student. Remember student scholars are given the option to use one of the school-approved virtual backgrounds. We are excited to “see” our student scholars.
- Check school progress on Schoology and PowerSchool. Treat every week as an interim/report card distribution week. Check updates in Schoology and PowerSchool.
- Simply by checking on the learning experience. Utilize the 2-3 pm Teacher Office Hour period. We remind all of our student scholars to join teachers during that time. Supports are offered to students during that time. Please check with your child’s teachers.
We Need You! – Parents, thank you for your interest in committing to our students’ success! We are excited about those who have contacted us, and we are still in need of others. The only way to provide the best for “OUR” students is to work together as a team. John Rolfe Family, I am calling on you…those who believe in and want to invest in the best for our children. Please contact me or our transitioning PTA Board if you are willing to accept this possible mission! Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
- Please click on the link for updates and notices: JRMS PTA Notice and Opportunities
- If you have not joined the JRMS PTA, there is still time! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Thank you to those who have reached out and answered the call. And to those who haven’t, there is plenty of room at the table. Please join us!
Email us at RolfePTAPres@gmail.com
I invite you to visit our website for important notices and updates. Navigate through our links to student resources, teachers’ blogs and webpages, as well as additional details and notices of upcoming events. Please do not hesitate to contact me at 804.226.8730 or email@example.com) if I can be of assistance. I consider it a privilege to have your child at John Rolfe.
John Rolfe Middle School will continue our pursuit of educational excellence and rise to our full potential for success. Students please have a restful evening and remember tomorrow, “WE” continue our quest for success as one team, one voice, and one family!
~Good Night, stay healthy, and be safe!
We are Rolfe Strong!
The harder they pull us back, the further we rise!
Next week and Beyond:
- January 18, 2021 –
- School is closed in observance of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Holiday.
- This is a National Day of service. Student scholars are invited to share the service events in which they were involved.
- Please check grades weekly for student progress and updates
January 19- is a Day 2