Greetings Rolfe Family,
This is Mrs. George, proud principal of John Rolfe Middle School, with a few reminders and important notices for the week!
Parents and guardians:
The “JRMS Parent Dashboard” is a one-stop-shop for many parent resources. Please save/bookmark and click on the necessary links for your reference. As email communication continues to increase, many notices can also be found here if you happen to miss an email.
Click on this link: JRMS Parent Dashboard
- January 18, 2021 –
- School is closed in observance of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday.
- This is a National Day of service. Student scholars are invited to share the service events in which they were involved.
- Lights of Hope Ceremony – We hope you will be able to view the HCPS Lights of Hope Ceremony on January 18th. Each year student scholars across the district represent their schools as ambassadors of hope.
- January 19- School opens and Tuesday is a Day 1
- Save the date…Tuesday, January 19th Varina Townhall Meeting: Want to know more about education in the Varina District? On Tuesday at 6 p.m., you’re invited to a virtual Varina Town Hall meeting. Ask questions, get updates, and take a sneak peek at what’s in store for 2021. There will be brief presentations on topics such as COVID-19, area community resources, social and emotional support for students, equity and diversity, and Varina District PTA news. Alicia Atkins, Varina District School Board representative, will attend, as will Amy Cashwell, HCPS superintendent, and other HCPS leaders. The town hall meeting will take place using Microsoft Teams, but no registration is required and you don’t need to create a special account:
Virtual Varina Town Hall Meeting
- Tuesday, Jan. 19, from 6-7:30 p.m.
- Virtual link: https://tinyurl.com/varina-town-hall
- Immunizations and Health History Forms: – Parents we need your help! There are several forms that are required prior to returning to school. Also, as a reminder “Immunizations” are also required for school whether the student is participating in virtual or in-person learning. Please remember to fill out your child’s Health History Form and other HCPS Health Forms.
Use this link to access all Health Forms
Please email or call Nurse Rosenbaum email@example.com as she is happy to assist.
Nurse Contact info:
804-226-8730 *press 2 for clinic
Fax number 804-236-5764 attn school nurse
- As a team and family, our focus is to develop life-ready thinkers. We believe honoring our legacy provides a future of success. We will continue to celebrate students for positive behaviors as we continue our campus-wide expectations. Our JRMS Team will…*be Respectful *be Responsible *Ready and *be Safe. We are excited to recognize our students for exhibiting the positives!
- Student Accountability and owning their work. Students must collaborate and respond to the teacher to ensure they are being successful and getting everything, they need.
- Parents/guardians/families, you can help by checking in with students every day.
- Actively engaged in the learning experience- Attendance is not the same as participation in learning. We encourage our student scholars to think through content and participate in the active learning process.
- We miss your face! Students are more engaged and responsive in learning when their cameras are on and they are able to interact with the teacher. Encourage your child to turn on his/her camera for each class. This is one of the first steps to help a struggling student and enhance the learning experience of an engaged student. Students are given the option to use one of the school-approved virtual backgrounds.
- Check Student progress on Schoology and PowerSchool Treat every week as an interim/report card distribution week. Check updates in Schoology and PowerSchool.
- Simply by checking on the learning experience. Utilize the 2-3 pm Teacher Office Hour period. We remind all of our student scholars to join teachers during that time. Supports are offered to students during that time. Please check with your child’s teachers.
Thank you to those who have reached out and answered the call. And to those who haven’t, there is plenty of room at the table. Please join us!
Email us at RolfePTAPres@gmail.com
I invite you to visit our website for important notices and updates. Navigate through our links to student resources, teachers’ blogs and webpages, as well as additional details and notices of upcoming events. Please do not hesitate to contact me at 804.226.8730 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if I can be of assistance. I consider it a privilege to have your child at John Rolfe.
John Rolfe Middle School will continue our pursuit of educational excellence and rise to our full potential for success. Student scholars please have a restful evening and remember tomorrow, “WE” continue our quest for success as one team, one voice, and one family!
~Good Night, stay healthy, and be safe!
We are Rolfe Strong!
The harder they pull us back, the further we rise!
Next week and Beyond:
- Jan. 25th– Day 1
- Jan. 28th – Jan. 29th: Asynchronous Days.
- Jan. 29th – End of the 2nd Marking Period
- Variance Request
- The deadline for middle school students is April 15, 2021. The high school (grades 8-11) deadline for submitting a variance request is February 15th and the elementary and middle (K – 7th) school deadline is April 15th. The 8th-grade deadline is aligned with high school since those students will be moving to high school for the 2021-2022 school year.
The deadline to request a variance for high schools is February 15, 2021. Variances may be considered only under circumstances as outlined in R6-03-001 School Assignments/Variance Procedures.