- Jan. 13th – is a day 2.
- Jan. 14th – PTA Spirit Night @ IHOP on Laburnum.
- Thursday, January 16th from 5:30-7:30 PM–Highland Springs HS Curriculum Fair for current 8th Grade students zoned for Highland Springs should plan to attend!
- Jan. 16th – Jan. 17th – 8th Grade Writing Camp
- Jan. 20th – Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day- (School is closed). (School Closing Messages- The outlets totally controlled by HCPS will have the most complete and accurate information available.)
- Thursday, January 30th from 6:00-8:00 Rolfe Curriculum Night: You will have an opportunity to hear about course requirements & recommendations from your school counselor as well as learn about our elective options. Plus, we will have a couple of special performances!
- PTSA JRMS Spring Festival – Save the date for March 28, 2020
Rising Freshmen will be able to attend Highland Springs’ Course/Activity fair January 16th at 5:30 pm to learn more about academic and social opportunities at Highland Springs High. Additionally, other essential workshops will be offered. The image below contains further details.
Click image for enlarged version.
Middle school is an important time in a student’s life. This article talks about five key findings for a middle school student’s future success in high school and beyond. The interesting and brief article is linked below.
Article Link: 5 Key Findings for Middle Grades
Students at JRMS have been learning more about the Henrico Learner Profile (HLP). The first attribute they investigated in October was Quality Character. A school-wide video contest was held through Advisory period for the best interpretation of what it means to show Quality Character. The videos and content were created entirely by the students. The winning entry also won a pizza party reward.
The results were as follows:
Mrs. Travis’ class won 3rd place with The Do’s and Don’ts of JRMS.
Ladies of Focus won 2nd place with Respect.
Mrs. Roberts’ class won 1st place with #spreadsomesunshine.
Great job everyone!
John Rolfe Middle School’s Music Department is proud to present “A Winter Concert” December 19th at 6:30. It will feature the Tribe Pride Chorus, Beginning Band and the Tribe Pride Concert Band. Don’t miss out on this great event!
During the month of December, Student Council, Ladies of Focus and Yearbook are all about GIVING! You can help others by donating items for the foodbank and homeless women. Let’s make it a December to Remember!
See the various flyers below for information about the many exciting events happening! Click the image for enlarged view.
News You Can Use:
- Nov. 26th – PBIS Q1 Celebration Day
- Nov. 27th – 29th: School Closed/Fall & Thanksgiving Holiday
- Dec. 2nd – School reopens from the Thanksgiving Holiday
- Dec. 6th – Spelling Bee (Auditorium @12:30pm)
- Dec. 9th – Half Day for Students
- Dec. 16 – Make-up Picture Day
8th graders interested in attending a specialty center?
Specialty Center Open House Events (7 pm):
Open House Events continue into Dec. Please see the listing on the HCPS website or click on this link: HCPS Open House Events
Here is an exciting, FREE, statewide STEM program for JRMS 8th grade students.
The Building Leaders for Advancing Science and Technology (BLAST) targets students with at least a C+ average and an interest in STEM coursework or those who have not yet discovered the excitement of STEM. Students will have an opportunity to engage in innovative, hands-on activities while residing on a university campus.
The BLAST program is a partnership between Virginia Space Grant Consortium, Old Dominion University, the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, and the Commonwealth of Virginia. Students will have an opportunity to apply to one of three sessions. Session dates and times will be available on November 15, 2019, when the application opens.
The website for program information and application is at http://vsgc.odu.edu/blast/. The application opens November 15, 2019 and closes February 10, 2020.
See BLAST sessions from 2019 – (Activities subject to change)
BLAST at ODU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQvS3AsPSf4
BLAST at UVA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81oQXGvo7To
BLAST at VT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-qMtoyNay8
Celebrate Literacy Community Day at Varina High will take place November 16th from 10am-3pm. See the image below for more details.
6901 Messer Road, Henrico, VA 23231
Phone (804) 226-8730 | Fax (804) 236-5764
School Hours: 8:25 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
Half-day dismissal time: 12:10 p.m.